This Breadless BLT with Avocado Mayonnaise is a low carb, ketogenic and paleo friendly take on the traditional favorite. Made with Butter Lettuce Wrap and Avocado Mayo, this Bacon Lettuce Tomato sandwich is a delicious meal for summer weeknight dinners when you don’t want to stay in the kitchen forever!
I’ve been working on making a lot more quick and easy recipes, especially this summer, because it’s hard to spend all day in the kitchen when the weather is so beautiful out and it’s calling for activities! I’ve been to the beach two weeks in a row and it’s just so nice to get out and go. I don’t feel like I’ve appreciated being so close to a beach so this summer I’m planning on changing that.
Anyway back to this BLT: a Breadless BLT with Avocado Mayonnaise.
My take on an old favorite, I decided to ditch the bread and keep it really light. I use Butter Lettuce because it’s my favorite for lettuce wraps and lettuce cups, I love the color and the taste. Then thick cut bacon that I baked, because baked bacon is my favorite and the thick cut feels a little meatier in the sandwich. A homemade Avocado mayonnaise because I don’t like the gloop at the stores. Of course, you could use that if you wanted but I really recommend making this Avo mayo because it’s really simple! and delicious.
It’s really easy to make, really quick and for the most part pretty hands off except for making the mayo. Perfect for those summer days when you want something delicious but don’t want to stand in the kitchen forever!
This weekend we’re going to San Jose for a hockey tournament, the North American Roller Hockey Championships, so I’ve just been getting ready packing and getting things taken care of before we go! We rented a great looking Air BnB and honestly I can’t wait to just sit in the hot tub and relax after playing some hockey.
Halfway to Friday!
- 6-12 pieces Bacon*
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 4-6 Butter Lettuce Leaves
- Avocado Mayonnaise:
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup Avocado oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 small or ½ large Avocado
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook bacon in preferred method of cooking (I like to bake mine).
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half.
- To make Mayo: put egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice and white wine vinegar in a bowl and whisk thoroughly (or use an immersion blender). Whisk it well, making sure that it is fully incorporated.
- Slowly drizzle in Avocado oil, a little at a time, all the while whisking, until it begins to thicken. You have to really whisk hard (if you're using an immersion blender, it's much easier).
- In a separate bowl, mash Avocado well with the back of a fork until it's got a creamy consistency. Add it to the bowl of mayo and whisk until well incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble: put some bacon slices in a butter lettuce leaf, top with sliced cherry tomatoes then drizzle Avocado mayo on top.