Keto and low carb empanadas made with fathead dough and stuffed with cilantro lime tri tip for an easy and delicious snack or meal. Great for game day!
1 1/2 cups mozzarella
3 oz cream cheese
1 1/4 cup almond flour
3 cups cooked tri-tip, cut into cubes
1 package Kevin’s Natural Cilantro Lime Sauce
Toppings of choice:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together tri-tip and Kevin’s Natural Cilantro Lime sauce. Set aside.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a bowl and microwave for one minute. Take out and stir well, then put back in the microwave for another minute. Stir well.
- Add egg to mozzarella and cream cheese mixture and mix well. Then add in the almond flour and combine well again.
- Roll the dough flat with a rolling pin or with a piece of plastic wrap on top and use a wine bottle. Once you’ve rolled it flat, about 1/4″ thick, use a bowl to cut circle shapes.
- For excess dough, form into a ball then roll out again and repeat the process until all the dough has been used.
Lay on a lightly greased cooking sheet, parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place a couple spoonfuls of meat into each circle on one half of the dough and then fold the other half over. Make sure to press down firmly on the edges. You can also slightly roll the edges to make sure they’re together well or use a fork to gently push down the edges.
- Once you’ve made all the empanadas, cook at 425 degrees for 12 minutes until starting to turn golden brown.
If the dough is too sticky to work with, you can do a couple things to help: add a little more Almond Flour to the dough, put the dough in the fridge or freezer for 15 minutes before working with it or rub some olive oil onto your hands.
It’s really important to use Almond Flour instead of Almond Meal. Almond Meal will cause the dough to be kind of crumbly and it breaks apart easily but Almond Flour will make it light and stretch easily.
Keywords: low carb empanadas, keto empanadas, fathead dough recipes, easy keto recipes