A warming bowl of White Chicken Taco Soup, made with a flavorful broth, chicken and all your favorite toppings. Can be made in a pot on the stove, the Instant Pot or a slow cooker. Keto, low carb
- 2 Chicken Breasts (I used frozen)
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 White Onion
- 1 4 oz. can green chiles
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp butter or oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- For garnish: cilantro (green onion, sour cream, cheese crisps, tomatoes, radish, limes, avocado)
- Dice red bell pepper and white onion. Turn Instant Pot onto sauté then add in butter or oil and white onion. Let cook for about 2-3 minutes until starting to soften, then add in bell pepper and garlic. Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Make sure to stir often so garlic doesn’t burn.
- Once it’s cooked, add in 2 cups of chicken broth then add in frozen chicken breasts.
- Change the instant pot from saute to poultry and set for 18 minutes. Once the 18 minutes is up, release pressure. Shred chicken with a fork or a knife (I take it out of the Instant Pot and do it on a cutting board then transfer back in).
- Turn the Instant Pot back onto saute then add in cream cheese, heavy cream and Monterey Jack cheese. Stir very well until everything melts together and has gotten incorporated.
- Add in juice of lime (and zest if you like!), remaining 2 cups of chicken broth and stir. (If the broth is already very thin, just add in 1 cup)
- Allow to cook on sauté for another 10 minutes or so until everything is well incorporated.
- Top with desired garnishes.
To make thicker, add more heavy cream, cream cheese or cheese. To make thinner, add in more chicken broth. You can make this with a regular soup pot as well. Follow the steps as directed but instead of cooking the chicken in the instant pot for 18 minutes, cook it with preferred method and then transfer it to soup pot.