How to Make Empanadas: These Chile Verde Chicken Empanadas are made with a ketogenic and low carb fathead dough then filled with flavorful Chile verde chicken.
For the dough:
- 1½ cups mozzarella
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/4–1/2 cup chile verde salsa
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped green onions (optional)
- green onions, pico de gallo, extra hot sauce, ranch, blue cheese or sour cream for dipping, pickled red onions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a bowl. Put in the microwave for one minute, take out and stir. Put in the microwave for another minute, stir well. Add in almond flour and egg. Mix to combine well.
- The dough will be a little wet but if it is too wet that you can’t get it to stop sticking to your fingers, then add a little more almond flour.
- Roll the dough flat with a rolling pin or with a piece of plastic wrap on top and use a wine bottle.
- Once you’ve rolled it flat, about ¼” thick, use a bowl to cut circle shapes.
- For excess dough, form into a ball then roll out again and repeat the process until all the dough has been used.
- Lay on a lightly greased cooking sheet or use a silicone baking mat.
- For chicken, mix shredded chicken with Chile verde salsa. Place a spoonful into each circle on one half and then fold the other half over. Make sure to press down firmly on the edges. You can also slightly roll the edges to make sure they’re combined well.
- Once you’ve made all the empanadas, cook at 425 degrees for 12 minutes until starting to turn golden brown.
If the dough is too sticky to work with, you can do a couple things to help: add a little more Almond Flour to the dough, put the dough in the fridge or freezer for 15 minutes before working with it or rub some olive oil onto your hands.
It’s really important to use Almond Flour instead of Almond Meal. Almond Meal will cause the dough to be kind of crumbly and it breaks apart easily but Almond Flour will make it light and stretch easily.