It’s Chili season! This Ground Beef & Sausage Chili recipe will make a delicious and comforting bowl of low carb and keto friendly chili. Great for game day.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 andouille sausage (cut into chunks)
- 1 pack of bacon (chopped into pieces)
- 1 white onion. chopped
- 1 cup carrots (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (minced)
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 pale ale beer* (or 1 1/2 cups more beef broth)
- 1 tsp each of: chili powder (cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- monterey jack cheese
- green onion
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, add bacon pieces and let crisp up. Once cooked, remove from dutch oven and remove some of the grease left behind (but leave at least enough to cover the bottom of the pot).
- Add in onion and cook for 2-3 minutes then add in carrots, celery, bell pepper and jalapeño. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften and get some color.
- Add in andouille sausage chunks and cook for another 5 minutes, then add in ground beef. Use a spatula to break up ground beef so it’s in small pieces. Add bacon back to the pot.
- Add beer (or broth) to deglaze pan then add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chipotle peppers in adobo, beef broth and the seasonings: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano, cinnamon.
- Let come to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, top dutch oven and allow to simmer for 1-2 hours so the flavors can develop.
*If you don’t want to use beer, you don’t have to. Omit the beer and replace with another 1 1/2 cups beef broth.