Kale Caesar Salad recipe with homemade croutons. Replacing the Romaine with Kale creates a new experience and adds nutritional benefits as well.
- 1 bunch of kale
- parmesan cheese
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 tablespoons anchovies
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- FOR THE CROUTONS:
- 1 loaf bread
- olive oil
- Cut up bunch of Kale into bite size pieces, getting rid of stems. Add to bowl and massage Kale leaves.
- FOR THE DRESSING: In a bowl or cup, add red wine vinegar, lemon juice, dijon mustard, anchovies and minced garlic. Mix until incorporated, then add egg yolks and olive oil using an immersion blender to mix. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a whisk. Mix until dressing is thick and glossy. Once well mixed, add freshly grated parmesan and mix again.
- FOR THE CROUTONS: Tear up bread into crouton sized pieces. Lay on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. The nooks and crannies of the bread will help soak up the oil ensuring you get nicely baked croutons. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until done, tossing occasionally.
- Once dressing and croutons are made, add dressing to Kale, taking care to toss well and cover evenly. Grate fresh parmesan over salad, add croutons and serve.
*If you don’t want to use the anchovies, you can use two teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce instead.
*Tastes best when allowed to sit for at least ten minutes while the Kale soaks up the dressing. Also good refrigerated at this time.