A low carb and keto friendly recipe for Clam Chowder — full of clams, bacon and celery root to take the place of potatoes, all in a rich and creamy broth.
6 slices of bacon
1 andouille sausage (optional)*
2 tbsp of butter
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups seafood stock
2 10 oz. cans of clams (in clam juice)
1 bay leaf
2 cups celery root, skinned and chopped
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
- In a soup pot or dutch oven, cook bacon. Once it starts to get crispy, remove and set aside. Drain some of the bacon grease from the pot, leaving at least 3 tbsp in the bottom of the pan.
- Add 2 tbsp butter to the pan then add in the onion, garlic and thyme. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Add in heavy cream, seafood stock, the juice from the canned clams, bay leaf and celery root.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes or until you can pierce the celery root with a fork. At this point, if it is too thin, you can continue allowing it to simmer to reduce and thicken or you can add more heavy cream. If it is too thick, you can add more seafood stock.
- Once it’s the consistency you like, add in clams and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to get the clams warmed through.
- Serve soup warm with bacon pieces and parsley.