This Sausage & Pesto Pizza on Low Carb Crust recipe makes a flavorful Italian sausage pizza with a bright and delicious basil pesto on a low carb, keto fathead dough pizza crust. Keto, low carb
For pizza crust:
- 1½ cups mozzarella
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- 1 egg (whisked)
- basil pesto (no measurement here, do it to taste, I use about 1/4-1/2 cup)
- roasted red peppers
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage (I used hot, use whichever you prefer)
- green olives (if desired)
- mozzarella cheese
- goats cheese
- arugula for topping (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a bowl. Put in the microwave for one minute, take out and stir. Put in the microwave for another minute, stir well. Add in almond flour and egg. Mix to combine well.
- The dough will be a little wet but if it is too wet that you can’t get it to stop sticking to your fingers, then add a little more almond flour.
- Roll the dough flat with a rolling pin or with a piece of plastic wrap on top and use a wine bottle into a pizza shape.
- Lay on a lightly greased pizza pan or on a silicone baking mat.
- Cook for 12 minutes.
- In a pan over medium heat, add Italian sausage and break up using a spatula. Cook about 5-7 minutes until cooked through.
- Add as much or as little pesto to the pizza crust as you like then top with Italian sausage, cheese, peppers, olives, etc.
- Put back in oven for about 5 minutes until cheese has melted. Top with arugula if desired.
The topping measurements aren’t exact or precise because this is really going to depend on individual preference. Even on this pie, a few of us liked olives and arugula and some of us didn’t, so we just didn’t add any on some parts.
I like to add a little mozzarella on top but not a ton since there’s already some in the crust. I also like to add goat cheese for the tang because I think it plays nicely with the spice of the Italian sausage.