This Smoked Rib Sandwich (homemade McRib) is full of flavor and with only a few ingredients it couldn’t be easier to make. Great for lunch, dinner or game day!
For the Ribs:
- 1.5 lb St Louis pork ribs
- enough mustard to lightly coat
- favorite BBQ rub to coat
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp butter
For the Sandwiches:
- 2 Italian sub rolls (or keto buns, see below for notes)
- 1/2 cup pickles
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced white onion
To make the ribs:
- Heat up your smoker to 250-275 degrees. Once it comes up to temperature, add your favorite wood (I like apple for ribs) and set up the smoker for indirect cooking.
- Remove the silver skin from the rack of ribs (if you don’t know how to do this, read more about how in the tips section). Cover the ribs in a thin layer of mustard and then coat liberally in your favorite BBQ rub.
- Add the ribs to the smoker and cook, uncovered, for about 3 hours until they begin to get some nice color and bark.
- Lay down sheets of foil big enough to cover the rack and put down pats of butter on the foil the length of the ribs. Put some honey on the butter on the foil too (enough to cover the rack of ribs). Lay the ribs meat side down on the foil then wrap up. Put back on the smoker for two hours.
- After two hours, your rib bones should have started pulling away and a temperature probe should slide into the ribs easily. At this stage, you want to brush your favorite BBQ sauce on the ribs and put them back on the smoker, unwrapped for 30 minutes to 1 hour until the sauce has gotten thick and tacky.
- Remove the rib meat from the bones and set aside.
To assemble the sandwich:
- Toast the bread or buns. Spread BBQ sauce on both sides if desired.
- Top with rib meat, thinly sliced white onion and pickles. Serve & enjoy.
Depending on how much meat you use, this should make 2 sandwiches with leftover rib meat or you could probably try to stretch it to 3 with leftover meat.
- Category: BBQ
- Method: Smoking
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 392
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 21.9g
- Carbohydrates: 31.8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 19.2g
Keywords: homemade mcrib, game day, smoked ribs, smoker recipes