This Thai Chicken Coconut Soup (Khao Soi) is the perfect bowl of comfort and a great way to warm up! Made with aromatic spices, this makes a flavorful bowl of keto and low carb soup.
- 2 chicken thighs or breasts (up to you, I’ve used both)
- 13 oz can coconut milk
- 1 lime
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp tumeric powder
- 1 tbsp butter or oil of choice (I like avocado oil)
- 1–2 cups zucchini noodles (optional, I omitted these)
- For garnish (optional): lime, cilantro, thinly sliced red onions, green onions, basil
- Dice yellow onion, cut chicken into cube bite-sized pieces and de-stem and roughly chop kale.
- In a soup pot over medium heat, add 1 tbsp butter or oil and add in yellow onion. Cook for five minutes, stirring frequently so as not to burn, then add in minced garlic.
- Cook for another 2 minutes then add in turmeric powder and yellow curry powder so it can get toasted and aromatic.
- Add in chicken cubes and cook until nicely brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Once chicken has been browned, add in coconut milk and juice and zest of lime. Stir together. The broth should turn a rich beautiful yellow. Add in chopped kale and stir.
- Allow to simmer on stove on medium heat for 10 minutes. If you’re using zucchini noodles, I would add in at the 7 minute mark.
- Serve soup and garnish with lime wedges, cilantro and thinly sliced red onions, if desired.