For the Blondie layer:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup walnuts
For the Brownie layer:
- 1 box chocolate instant pudding
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup white sugar
For the Bourbon Salted Caramel:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
For the Pretzel crust:
- 3 cup pretzels
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or regular)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
For the pretzel crust:
- Put 2 cups of pretzels in a food processor and grind until it's a fine powder. Take the remaining cup of pretzels and crunch up in a bag until there are just small pretzel pieces.
For the salted caramel drizzle:
- In a sauce pan, add water and sugar. Mix together.
- Cook over medium high heat and it has started to condense and thicken. Be very careful not to let it burn. Don't whisk or mix until it has thickened.
- Once it's thickened, take off heat and whisk in heavy cream, butter and bourbon. Whisk in salt.
For the blondie layer:
- Melt buttter in a pan over medium heat until it's starting to brown and nutty smelling.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, brown butter, vanilla. Mix well. Then add in the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, white sugar, salt. Mix well to combine. Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
For the brownie layer:
- In a bowl, combine instant chocolate pudding and sugar with heavy cream and mix well with a mixer until it's thick and well combined.
- Butter a baking dish (I used 9×9 for extra thick bars, you could do a bigger one for smaller bars). Add pretzel crust mixture to the bottom of the dish, pressing firmly so that it's evenly spaced out across the bottom of the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Once the pretzel crust comes out, add in the blondie mixture and top with the brownie mixture. Put back in oven for 15 minutes then take out and using a knife or fork, swirl together the brownie and blondie mixture. At this point, they will be melted enough that they should swirl together easily. If not, cook for a little longer.
- Put back in the oven for another 40 minutes until a knife comes out almost clean (the brownie layer will stick some because of the pudding).
- Once done, allow to cool slightly then drizzle over top the warm bourbon caramel sauce.
- Category: Dessert