Mixed berry crust with a flakey and buttery biscuit topping and jammy mixed berries with a delightful note of orange zest. Keto friendly and low carb dessert idea.
For berry filling:
- 2 cups of mixed berries (or berry of choice)
- 1 orange (you’ll need juice and zest)
- sweetener of choice (I used 1/2 tbsp domain Sante)
- 2 tbsp butter
For biscuit topping:
- 2 cups carbquik (or biscuit alternative)
- 2/3 cup water
- sugar free whip cream
- keto friendly ice cream (such as Rebel or Halo Top)
- fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
To make berry filling:
- In a pan over medium heat, add in frozen mixed berries. Allow to cook for 5 minutes until they’re starting to melt and soften up.
- Zest orange and set aside. Then add in the juice of orange and sweetener of choice. Stir.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, allowing the berries to reduce. Once thickened, stir in orange zest.
To make biscuit topping:
- In a bowl with a mixer or a fork, combine carbquik and water. Mix to combine.
To assemble cobbler:
- Grease a cast iron skillet or ramekin with butter. Ladle in berry mixture and then top with dollops of biscuit topping. You want the biscuit drops to be relatively close so that as it cooks they connect and create a luscious topping.
- Put in oven and cook at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are puffed up and lightly browned.
- Pull cobbler out of the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes prior to serving. Top with sugar free whip cream or low carb ice cream and some mint sprigs, if desired.