Let’s talk about the garage makeover!
If you’ve been following along, then you’ll know we moved in to the new house about three months ago and since then it’s pretty much been a whirlwind of little home projects, hosting parties, renovating the pool bathroom in the One Room Challenge and buying lots of new furniture to outfit the new place.
We absolutely love this house but there are still so many things that we want to do and change. While that’s exciting, it can also be a little overwhelming and there are a lot of times where we have to sit back and think about what needs to be the priority.
After a meeting of the minds, it became pretty clear that the garage was next on the priority list. We need it to be a really functional space and right now it’s, well, not. There isn’t really much to the garage currently; while it’s a great size, there is no storage or anything on any of the walls so it will be up to us to implement a solution.
It’s going to be really important to do this well, using all of the available space in an efficient and useful way, since we do have quite a bit to store–lots of sports equipment, mountain bikes, fridge, holiday decorations, tools, camping gear, etc.
We also plan on using part of the garage as a gym, we need to store our teardrop trailer and in an ideal world, we’d love to be able to park our cars in there as well!
So as you can see, it’s a pretty tall order and even though the space is a pretty good size, we still need to be smart with how we’re going to store everything efficiently and so that it looks good as well.
The Garage Before Photos
Here’s some before photos of the currently very crowded, cluttered and boxes everywhere space:
Garage Makeover: the Plan
As far as the plan goes, there’s a big one and I anticipate it taking many weeks to fully complete. So we will break it down section by section and just keep crossing things off our list.
There are going to be a few different “sections” of the garage:
- gear & sports storage
- tools & work bench
- holiday decor & storage
The trailer will be kept in the single garage stall, along with a gear panel wall and work bench area. The trailer is only 5×8 so it still leaves us a pretty good amount of space for the gear wall.
The other side of the garage will be dedicated to the home gym and also where we park the cars.
We will probably end up doing some type of roof storage for the holiday decor and other storage.
Garage Makeover To Do List
Here’s a long and probably not complete to do list (and likely out of order):
- PURGE: Remove whatever doesn’t belong. we have plenty of items that we need to throw away, donate or sell in a yard sale. We also have an extra washer, dryer and fridge to sell.
- PAINT: I don’t want the garage to feel like an afterthought so paint will be a great way to make the space more inviting.
- EPOXY FLOOR: This makes the floor and in turn, the room, look so much more polished.
- GEAR STORAGE: We’ll be creating a gear panel wall to hang all the different sports equipment we have and need to store.
- TOOL STORAGE & WORK BENCH: With the more projects and DIY’s we tackle, it’s become apparent we need to create a dedicated space for tool storage and include a work bench.
- HOLIDAY/DECOR/ETC. STORAGE: We need to be able to store some boxes that we do not need to access frequently, mostly holiday decorations.
- GARAGE GYM: This is going to be a project in itself but we’ll be adding a folding wall mount squat rack, various workout machines, storage solutions for this stuff and we’ll also mount a TV.
- HOCKEY LOCKERS: I’ve always dreamed of having my own hockey locker stall so here’s hoping we’ll build one for the garage!
- ETC: Inevitably, there’s always something I’ve forgotten to include that we need to do. One of these things is finding a better lighting solution. I’m sure this task will continue to grow!
As you can see, there is much to figure out as far as organization goes and this will be a multi-weekend project. You can follow along on here and over on Instagram @mincerepublic where I’ll share photos, videos and behind the scenes footage of the makeover!