This Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese is a healthy twist on a classic favorite. The sauce is made with Butternut Squash, Carrots, Cauliflower and Cheddar. Perfect for mac and cheese lovers, great for dinner and great for kids!
This Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese is the answer to your prayers! Or maybe it’s the answer to mine. It’s the answer to something, that’s for sure. Here’s the thing. I know as well as the next person that Mac n’ Cheese is just a part of life. It’s nostalgic, comforting, delicious and it just makes you feel good inside.
But it’s not usually something you can indulge in all the time because tons of noodles and cheese sauce isn’t doing anyone’s waistline any favors #realtalk. So as with most things, I set out to make a healthier version of the classic favorite and I’m happy to say that victory is ours! This Butternut Squash Mac n’ Cheese is healthy and much better for you than the regular version plus it still hits all the notes of the old favorite: comforting, delicious and makes you feel good!
Having a bowl of comforting food at a table surrounded by loved ones sounds about perfect right now.
I’m devastated by the attack at the Elementary School in San Bernardino on Monday and my heart breaks for the families of the victims. Will these tragedies ever cease? In times of trial, I am reminded that we must be lights in the darkness. We must love each other fiercely, be compassionate, lend a hand or an ear to those in need.
Though I am not naive enough to believe a bowl of Macaroni and Cheese can take away heartache or ease pain, I do believe that in dark times, we should come together. We need to come together.
What the world needs now is love.
And why can’t that love start at the dinner table?
This Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese not only has Butternut Squash but also Cauliflower and Carrots for a delicious sauce poured over whole wheat shells.
Enjoy it with those you love!Print
- 1 lb whole wheat shell noodles or elbows
- 3 cups chopped butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4–1/2 cup milk or chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated*
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped (optional)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil then add butternut squash, cauliflower and carrots, cook until soft, about 7-8 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain and add to blender. Add milk or stock and continue blending. It should be a sauce now but not too thick. Continue adding milk or stock until it reaches desired consistency.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook your shells or elbows according to package directions.
- In a sauce pan, pour in butternut squash sauce, add onion powder and garlic powder. Stir in 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Once noodles have finished cooking, add to lightly greased 9×9 baking pan.
- Once cheese has melted in sauce, top noodles in baking pan with cheese sauce. Mix to combine. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Cook in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Once done, garnish with chopped parsley.
It’s better if you grate the cheese yourself. Pre-grated cheese often has an anti-caking agent in it which makes it difficult to melt.