I think tacos are probably my favorite dish to eat. They’re incredibly versatile, work for just about any meal (think breakfast tacos and dessert tacos!) and they taste great at 2 in the morning.
The tortillas are like little mini vehicles delivering your favorite tasty foods to your mouth. I’m all for it.
But just like with using zucchini to make noodles instead of the traditional route, I embraced the paleo version of tortillas and tried my hand at a cauliflower version.
I have to admit, these things are pretty awesome. If you’re just trying to watch your carb intake or add some more veg to your diet, I would highly recommend these. Plus, they give you an excuse to eat more of the best food of all time.
I won’t say that they are traditional tortillas because they’re not but they are an awesome substitute with good flavor that hold up well to whatever ingredients you like.Print
A great substitute tortilla recipe made from cauliflower. Paleo & Gluten Free.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1–2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- seasonings as desired
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grate the cauliflower using a cheese grater or a food processor with a coarse grind.
- Place the grated cauliflower in a microwave safe dish and microwave for four minutes. Stir. Microwave for another four minutes. Stir. Allow to cool.
- Whisk egg and add to bowl with cauliflower. Mix well. Add salt, pepper and any desired seasoning and mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread cauliflower onto parchment paper, creating circles, not too thick but not too thin.
- Place in oven for about ten minutes, carefully flip the tortillas and allow to cook for another 5 minutes or so. Finish them off in a skillet over medium high heat, allowing them to brown to your liking.
Depending on how big your cauliflower is, you may need more or less egg. The mixture will be runny, but shouldn’t be liquid either. Typically, about two cups of grated cauliflower works with two eggs.
This recipe is easy doubled or tripled.