I originally had another post scheduled for today but then I made these on a whim and had to post them immediately. They were that good. Good enough that I ate them every day for breakfast for four days straight and the only reason I stopped is because there were none left.
I’ve had a love affair with orange scones for years now, the buttery richness of a scone and the citrus notes combining to create a delicious treat.
Notice I said treat. I am all for treating oneself but as I mentioned here, here, here and countless times, I try my best to be intentional about the things I put in my body. Sometimes this leads me to finding healthier versions of my not-so-good on calories but so-so-good on flavor favorite foods, kinda like my healthier take on nachos.
These scones are not completely guilt free, of course, but what they do provide is a much healthier alternative to traditional scones. They’re also gluten free, paleo and absolutely delicious.
I encourage you to eat one for the next four days, or five, or six, or whatever suits you.
You will be so happy. And I will be so happy for you. Because we are the types of friends that support each other on our delicious food journeys.
Right? Right. *high five*
Let’s go make some scones.Print
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- For the scones:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- zest of one orange (optional)
- For glaze:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tspn orange juice
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, baking soda and orange zest.
- In another bowl, mix egg, butter, orange juice, honey and butter.
- Combine all ingredients together into dough. Put on baking sheet and form into a circle. (I used my hands but you can use a rolling pin if you like)
- Cut into eight equal sized slices.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- To make sauce, combine all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat until it thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
*Inspired by this recipe
Leave a Reply