Easy Creamy Mexican Cabbage Slaw, an easy to make topping or side dish recipe. Keto, low carb, gluten free
A couple months ago I had something kinda like this recipe and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. It seems crazy given the amount of great food I get to eat, that something so simple and easy would make such a lasting impression. But it was such a good complement to the dish that I started adding it to others and then I started just making it by itself as a side dish because it was good.
I like to add it to sandwiches, burgers or tacos but it can definitely hold it’s own as a side dish as well. It pairs great with fatty cuts of meat to cut some of the fat with it’s acidity. It also works great in bowls–burrito bowls, buddha bowls, bowls by itself.
I prefer sour cream or mexican crema but you could use mayonnaise if you like, though it will slightly alter the flavor.
Creamy Mexican Cabbage Slaw
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup sour cream, mexican crema, or mayonnaise
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a big bowl, combine sour cream, zest and juice of lime, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix well to combine.
- Add in green cabbage, mix well with sauce to cover. Add in carrots and mix again.
- Allow to sit for at least 15 minutes prior to serving (but 30 minutes or longer is better!)
Did you make this recipe?
I love seeing your pictures!
Tag @mincerepublic on Instagram or Facebook and #mincerepublic