Chicken & Veggie Foil Packets with Pesto Recipe. Chicken thighs and vegetables cubed and tossed with Basil Pesto, cooked in a foil packet over the grill for the perfect easy summer weeknight meal!
All I wanted this past weekend was to go to the beach. It was so hot and so nice to go tubing last weekend in Arizona that I just thought it would be fun to go chill at the beach this weekend.
It was hot at my house but mysteriously cool at the beach so while it wasn’t the hot party I imagined, it was still perfectly relaxing and fun.
I love grilling outside, whether it’s at the house, camping or even on the beach so I made a point to pack a table, my small grill (I have a Weber Q1000 Propane Grill and love it!) and some food. I don’t want to have to leave the beach to eat! I wanna sit on my inflatable couch all day and only get up to grab another drink of out of the cooler or throw some food on the grill. What could be better than grilling on the beach? Nothing, that’s what.
So these packs were extremely easy to make and I prepped the ingredients in about twenty minutes before we left for the beach. You really just cut up whatever veggies you want and whatever protein, bring some seasonings and some foil to wrap it all up in and boom — easiest meal ever. You can even eat out of the foil (although you should let it cool down because otherwise – ouch). I learned about the foil packet meal while I was in Girl Scouts years ago and it stuck with me.
But this is also the easiest dish to make and would be awesome at home! It’s perfect for the summer time. Cut up a bunch of ingredients, let people choose what they want, throw it on the grill for a while, grab another cocktail and then your food is ready for you. My idea of easy entertaining during the summer! Plus it gets you out of the house where the oven and cooking in general just makes you feel hotter.
Grillin’ and chillin’ 🙂
- 1 pd chicken thighs
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ red onion
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- ½ cup basil pesto
- For assembly: foil
- Cut chicken thighs into cube sized pieces. Cut bell pepper, red onion, mushrooms into ½" sized pieces. Slice zucchini and yellow squash lengthwise, then slice every ¼" or so, creating little half circles.
- Lay out a foil packet about 10" x 10" - more or less depending on how much food you want to put in each packet.
- Add in however much chicken and veggies you want then top with a good dollop of basil pesto.
- Take the two edges of the foil and connect, wrap together. Do the same with the other sides of the foil. You should end up with a foil "packet" full of your food.
- Toss on a grill on high heat for about 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked thoroughly.