This easy garden salad with garlic brioche croutons & lemon vinaigrette is a great addition to any meal, with good texture, creamy avocado and a citrusy dressing.
This week is going by kinda slow, I think mostly because I’m excited to leave for Seattle tomorrow! Let me know if you have any food/drink/bar/coffee/must see recommendations!
In other news, I really like starting meals with salads.
It’s an easy way to get your greens in, it helps fill you up a little before your meal and it’s salad so it’s good for you and what not. Of course, salads can be kinda boring. Don’t hate me but it’s true. They can be. So I think an important part of creating a salad is figuring out a way to keep it interesting and delicious. One of the main ways I think you can do this is with texture.
In this garden salad with garlic brioche croutons and lemon vinaigrette, I’ve added broccoli and carrot slaw to add some good crunch. The croutons also help with that while adding some good flavor. If you’re keto or paleo, don’t make the croutons. If you’re keto, you might consider making parmesan crisps instead. Also v delicious. The Avocado is creamy and delicious because hello, Avocado!
This is the perfect addition to an easy summer weeknight meal. I’ve been making one of these to pretty much go with everything lately.
Hope you are having a great week! Tomorrow is Friday 🙂
- For salad: 3 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup carrot and broccoli slaw*
- ¼ cup thinly sliced bell pepper
- (optional) cheese of choice
- ½ large or 1 small Avocado
- For croutons: 1½ cups torn brioche bread
- ½ tbsp butter
- ½ tbsp minced garlic
- For lemon vinaigrette: 2 tbsp minced shallot
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- good pinch of salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- To make croutons: add butter to a pan over medium heat, then toss in bread. Coat bread with butter then add in garlic. Cook until bread is lightly golden. Allow to cool before adding to salad.
- To make lemon vinaigrette: add shallot to a bowl then add in lemon zest and juice. Let sit for at least ten minutes. Whisk in olive slowly, until the dressing is thick. Add a good pinch of salt and a couple cracks of freshly cracked black pepper.
- To assemble salad: in a bowl, add mixed greens, broccoli/carrot slaw, bell peppers, tomatoes, croutons (and cheese if using). Dress salad with lemon vinaigrette and toss (or you can save this step so everyone can do it individually). Thinly slice Avocado then arrange in a circle on top.