Healthy Green Chile & Bacon Cauliflower Mac n Cheese recipe for a keto and low carb friendly macaroni and cheese.
Did anyone else watch the Super Bowl last night? What am I talking about, of course. I went to a Super Bowl party but I’m not gonna lie–I was mostly there for the food (like Buffalo Chicken Dip, Bell Pepper Nachos, Jalapeño Poppers, mmmm).
On another note, did anyone watch This is Us after the Super Bowl? Ugh. I’ve been dreading this moment for so long and even the commercial was getting me choked up.
With all that sadness, we’re definitely going to need a little comfort food to cheer us up. What’s more comforting than a nice bowl of Mac and Cheese?
Ever since I made that Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese and then the Pimento Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese with Bacon, I’ve been a faux-mac and cheese making, cauliflower embracing, machine.
But seriously, I can’t get enough.
But first a PSA:
I recently shared my Pimento Cauliflower Mac n Cheese on Reddit and quite a few people were disgruntled and astounded that I would call it “Mac” without any actual macaroni noodles in it.
So let me preface this by saying:
This doesn’t have any macaroni noodles in it. If you want macaroni noodles in it, definitely go for it and toss in some noodles in this delightful cheesy sauce. I chose not to because that’s how I was feeling but be true to you! The beautiful part of cooking is that you can do whatever you want and make things taste how you most like them.
I call it “Mac” and cheese because I made it with the idea that it would be a low carb alternative to our favorite comfort food, Macaroni and Cheese. It’s supposed to be a substitute so hopefully this helps clear up any confusion. 🙂
This Green Chile & Bacon Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is:
and very easy to make!
Let’s get to cooking.
Green Chile & Bacon Cauliflower Mac n Cheese Recipe Notes:
As written, this is gluten free, low carb and ketogenic friendly. If you want, feel free to add some noodles to the mix though! You can still leave the cauliflower or take it out if that’s what you prefer.
If you’re not a big fan of green chiles, you can leave them out. You can also try different flavor combos like Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese or Pimento Mac n Cheese with Bacon. Both excellent options.
- 4 cups cauliflower florets, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups cheddar, grated
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup cooked, chopped bacon
- 3-5 tbsp chopped green chiles (depending on how much heat you want)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add cauliflower florets and cook for 3-5 minutes (don't overcook or they get mushy).
- Drain the cauliflower then return to pot. Add in heavy cream and cream cheese. Stir. Add in shredded cheddar cheese and continue stirring until melted and well incorporated, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in bacon and green chiles. Allow to cook for another three to five minutes so flavors can incorporate. Serve.