An easy to make casserole, this Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is a cheesy low carb, keto macaroni and cheese made with flavorful buffalo chicken.
The weather is finally starting to cool down over here and it’s a welcome respite from the brutal heat that we’ve been dealing with late this October. Sometimes it’s difficult to feel “Fall” when it’s as hot or hotter than it was in Summer. So in the mornings, the crisp cool air has been welcome and I’m happy to toss on a sweater (and use my heated car seats!)
For me, when the weather turns it’s time for casseroles. I do eat casseroles year round, they’re really so easy to throw together and you can make something great easily but there’s something about eating them when the weather is slightly chilly that just seems fitting.
This Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is a welcome new addition to the casserole rotation in my life. If you don’t want to use Cauliflower, you can of course substitute macaroni noodles (elbows are my favorite!) but this is a great way to get in some extra veg. You could even add the noodles and keep the cauliflower.
I make my Buffalo Chicken in the Instant Pot but this could be thrown together really easily using a rotisserie chicken or some leftover chicken you have on hand.
This also makes great leftovers!
Cheers to sweater weather, delicious casseroles and Halloween tomorrow! Are you going to be anything fun?
If you want to add the noodles, go for it! You can either add them with the Cauliflower (I would add a little more liquid) or just omit them altogether.
This Mac and Cheese can be a little more watery than usual once baked due to the Cauliflower so it’s best to make your cheese sauce a little thicker than you think you’ll need. It will thin out while baking.
This makes great leftovers!
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can easily just transfer this to a baking dish and cook.Print
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 2 1/2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup hot sauce (I use Cholula or Franks – use more for more heat)
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese crisps (optional)
- green onions for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Set a pot of water on the stove to boil. Once water is boiling, add in cauliflower. Cook for 3-5 minutes until starting to get soft but not mushy. Immediately drain.
- In a cast iron skillet (or regular), heat 1/2 tbsp butter. Add in yellow onion and cook for two minutes until fragrant. Add in carrots and cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in cream cheese and let melt, then add in 3 cups of cheddar cheese. Let melt together, stir frequently.
- In a bowl, melt remaining butter. Add hot sauce. Add chicken then combine together well. Set aside.
- Add cauliflower and chicken to cheese sauce. Cover with remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese then crumble 1/2 cup cheddar cheese crisps on top if using.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes then broil for 5 minutes until cheese is starting to turn brown and get bubbly.
- Top with green onions if desired.