This Cauliflower Pimento Mac and Cheese with Bacon is a healthier take on the classic Macaroni and Cheese made with bacon and pimento for extra flavor.
Ever since my trip to South Carolina last year, I’ve been allllll about the Pimento Cheese (see Pimento Cheeseburgers here for your next favorite burger, you’re welcome). Pimentos add a sort of smoky heat that really elevates a dish with added flavor.
So I thought to myself: Self, what would be a great addition to Macaroni and Cheese? Pimentos of course. And bacon. Because something about the combination of pimentos, bacon and mac and cheese just works really well together.
Then instead of using elbow noodles or pasta, I decided to use cauliflower. Hear me out. I like Mac n’ Cheese and elbow noodles as much as the next gal but sometimes it’s nice to have something that has some sort of veggie in it. I’ve also been making a lot of keto (low carb) recipes lately so this falls into that category as well.
You could most definitely and probably should add some point also make this with pasta because it would be 100% delicious. I will also probably do that at some point when I really need to fall into a bowl of mac n’ cheese with real noodles instead of cauliflower.
But also try this version because cauliflower is surprisingly good in it. The flavor of the cheese sauce with the pimentos and bacon is so flavorful that it overpowers the cauliflower into delicious submission.
- 4 cups cauliflower florets, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups cheddar, grated
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup cooked, chopped bacon
- 3–5 tbsp chopped pimentos (depending on how much heat you want)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add cauliflower florets and cook for 3-5 minutes (don’t overcook or they get mushy).
- Drain the cauliflower then return to pot. Add in heavy cream and cream cheese. Stir. Add in shredded cheddar cheese and continue stirring until melted and well incorporated, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in bacon and pimentos. Let cook for another 3-5 minutes. Serve.