A healthier version of Nachos made with Bell Pepper, Ground Beef, Guacamole and Pico de Gallo. Paleo (use Paleo friendly cheese) and Ketogenic recipe.
So if you read my Steak Salad post the other day or if you know me in real life off the interwebs then you may remember me saying something about nachos, or more specifically, about how I was trying to eat lighter in the evening but nachos were constantly calling my name with all their cheesy, avocado-y, crunchy, delicious-y glory.
I’ve come to rectify this problem. Insert Bell Pepper Nachos. Before you have a heart attack (I really hope you don’t), I won’t lie to you and say these are exactly like traditional nachos (on chips). They aren’t, obviously.
I will say, however, that these are an awesome way to appreciate and enjoy the delicious toppings ofnachos (which are sometimes the best part) so it’sall good in my book. Plus, the bell peppers are crunchy so you still get similar texture. Anything that allows you to enjoy nachos on a more regular basis is a win for me so these are definitely all up in my meal rotation lately.
Go forth, be merry and eat nachos.
- 1 pd ground beef
- 3 cups sliced bell pepper (into chip sizes) about 3 big bell peppers
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup salsa of choice
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp green onion
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- *favorite nacho toppings
- In a bowl, add ¼ cup onion, cherry tomatoes, green onion and cilantro. Add red wine vinegar and salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add avocado and mash with a fork. Add in ¼ cup onion, and juice of lime. Set aside.
- For the meat:
- In a pan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to get translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in ground beef.
- Using a spatula, break up ground beef in pan. Cook until no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in salsa and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- To assemble:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay out Bell Pepper Slices and put in oven for about five minutes.
- Take out of oven then cover with meat mixture. Add cheese on top and any other toppings you want heated.
- Cook for 10 minutes until cheese has melted.
- Take out of oven and top with allllllll your favorite toppings including the pico de gallo and guacamole. (My favorites include Greek Yogurt or Crema, Pickled Red Onions, extra Cilantro, olives, jalapenos, Pickled Radishes, etc.