Traveling but trying to stay Keto? Here are tips to staying keto while traveling so you can have fun but still stay on track.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosures here.
I guess it probably goes without saying that I get a lot of questions about eating keto or how to “stay keto” when doing certain things like taking lunch to work or school, working out, eating at restaurants, etc. but one of the biggest ones is how do I stay keto while traveling?
Fortunately, it’s not actually very difficult so long as you’re willing to do a little planning beforehand. Even if you don’t want to plan too much, you can usually find something, especially if you’re willing to get a little creative.
So today I’m sharing tips on how to stay keto while traveling. I was especially inspired to share since I’ve been traveling a lot lately and have found some easy ways to stick to a low carb or keto way of eating while out!
First things first, I’m of the mindset that moderation is important. If there’s something that the place you’re traveling is known for and you’ve been dreaming about it for years, say like beignets in New Orleans for example, then I think you should just eat it.
I wouldn’t suggest eating an entire bag of it or completely going over the top but if you eat a primarily keto diet and you are in ketosis, I don’t think it’s going to be super harmful to you to try some of the local food. Of course, this is my personal opinion and what I do, but your mileage may vary and so that’s up to you to determine whether or not it’s worth it.
When I travel, I typically will indulge in a few things, but I don’t overdo it because I know that eating that way doesn’t make me feel good… and I don’t want to feel crummy when I’m on vacation (or any other time for that matter).
With that said, here are some easy tips to stay keto while traveling:
Pack Snacks/Back up Food for Emergencies
One of my favorite ways to keep a good stash of Keto food on hand at all times is to always have a Keto “snackle box” which is a tackle box that I fill with keto friendly snacks.
Some ideas to fill the snackle box include cheese whisps, nuts, flaxseed crackers, salami, cheese, olives, kale chips, pork rinds, gummies, bacon, smoked salmon, snack bars, jerky sticks, etc.
I also like to pack fat bombs because they’re a great way to feel satiated and get a good amount of fats in.
I will pack mini travel bag sizes of coconut oil to put in coffee or tea or even add some keto creamer to coffee just to get in some extra fats when needed. One of my favorites which is super easy to pack and use is Omega Power Creamer.
Keto Friendly Travel Food Options:
- cheese whisps
- meat sticks
- salami, pepperoni, cured meats
- kale chips
- fried cheese
- 90 second bread
- cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes
- crackers made with lavash bread
- chips made with low carb tortillas
- keto granola
- lily’s chocolate
- hardboiled eggs
- canned tuna (but be polite, not a great thing to eat on the airplane)
- pepperoni chips
Keto Friendly Airport Food Options:
- If you can find a coffee shop or cafe, they’ll often have hardboiled eggs. Some even have little packs of cheese, salami and hardboiled eggs. I know Starbucks has multiple different options like this. You can also get a coffee with cream.
- If you can find a spork bar or grill, you can always go for a bunless burger. If it comes with fries, ask if they will swap them out for a side salad.
- Salads are always an option, although sometimes they can be skimpy on the fat so ask for extra cheese or a fatty dressing like ranch.
- You can always grab a sandwich and just not eat the bread.
One thing I love to make is an adult lunchable. I’ll pack different types of meats, cheeses, olives and maybe some cheese whisps or crackers.
If I’m packing something that I’d like to stay cold, I love these pack it lunch bags. No need to bring extra ice packs and they fold up small when you’re done using them.
My Favorite Supplies for Keto Friendly Travel Food:
Hopefully some of these tips can help you on your next adventure!