Mmm cookies. Or more specifically Sweet Potato Protein Cookies.
This summer has been a very busy season. Though I am past the days of summer break from school, there’s a part of that always thinks of that Sam Hunt line… “I graduated but every year in May I get that “schools out” feeling / I feel it creeping in every day’s a weekend and I’m drowning in the freedom”. Just a little random fact for you.
Summer for me this year has been so many things and while in California, summer weather lasts until at least October, there’s a sense of closure come September. The rest of the world seems to be gearing up for Fall and with kids going back to school, it’s kind of like life slows back down again.
So even though I am sad that the sun filled days of beach camping, wedding going and Vegas pool parties are behind me, I also look forward to Fall, getting back in a routine and the holidays that will soon be upon us.
In an effort to get back in more of a routine, I’ve gotten back into the kitchen cooking more. If summer was full of restaurants and quick nibbles on the go, then I’d like Fall to be more about getting in the kitchen, making meals and being more mindful and intentional about my plans.
These Sweet Potato Protein cookies are a nice addition to the food rotation I’m in. A perfect snack in the morning, post workout or in that awkward afternoon lull of the day. Sometimes I’ve even been known to have one as an after dinner treat.
In most things, I try to keep my treats with some nutritional value so while these offer a satisfying sweetness for the sweet tooth in me, I feel good about the ingredients. I toss in dark chocolate covered espresso beans in lieu of chocolate chips because I’m addicted to them right now but you could definitely make these with chunks of dark chocolate or chocolate chips. You do you!
Sweet treats 4 all.
- 2 white sweet potatoes*
- 1 cup nut butter (I used almond butter)
- 2 scoops (70g) vanilla protein powder (I used Blue Bonnet)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons honey or 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- (optional) 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1/2 cup (or more depending on taste) chopped dark chocolate covered espresso beans or chocolate chips
- pinch of sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Poke holes in sweet potatoes using a fork, put on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes until soft. Let cool down, then remove skin. Turn down oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash sweet potato then add wet ingredients: egg, honey, vanilla extract and mix.
- Add dry ingredients: cinnamon, instant coffee and protein powder and mix.
- Fold in espresso beans or chocolate chips gently, do not overmix.
- Using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop, scoop dough onto parchment lined baking sheet (or greased baking sheet).
- Cook for 10-12 minutes.
Sometimes when you cook with protein powder, you’ll get a waxy sheen. Don’t worry. Just make sure not to overcook the cookies and you’ll be good to go.
*You can use a regular yam/sweet potato (orange), I just opted for white because it gives more of the traditional cookie appearance.