This Zucchini Noodle Lasagna with Meat Sauce is made with ground turkey, Italian sausage and lots of veggies. It’s also Ketogenic friendly, gluten free and easy to make. Make it Paleo by using a Paleo friendly cheese or omitting cheese altogether.
I’m sleepy. Are you sleepy? Yesterday after doing some work in the morning and then going grocery shopping, I came home with grand plans of doing some meal prep to get it out of the way for the week and then I proceeded to take a nap for three hours. #reallife
Sometimes naps are great. But I have to admit I get a little bummed out on the weekends when I nap so long because it feels like I’m wasting valuable time for adventures and house work and cleaning and relaxing. It sure is nice to nap though. I wish I could nap right now.
This week is shaping up to be busy because I’m going to Arizona for Memorial Day Weekend! We have a Team USA training weekend set up and I’m going with some friends to spend my off time in the pool and in the sun. Looking forward to it but of course first there is mountains of laundry to do, a house to clean and bags to pack. But it will be fun!
Let’s start talking about this Lasagna. Layers and layers of meat sauce, cheese and lasagna noodles. Only here, we’re subbing out traditional noodles for Zucchini, to make a healthier low carb Lasagna. The meat sauce is made with ground turkey and Italian sausage and has tons of added veggies for even more goodness. It’s the perfect way to get your Lasagna fix in a healthier way!
And if you make enough, this makes great leftovers. Perfect when you have a million things to do before a trip! Just me? ok.
Go eat and be awesome!
Lasagna made with Zucchini Noodles and Meat Sauce made with ground Turkey and Italian sausage. Ketogenic, Paleo, low carb and Gluten free. Lasagna without ricotta cheese.
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper (orange, red, yellow), chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 2 Zucchinis
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 pd ground turkey
- 2 italian sausage links
- 28 oz. tomato sauce of choice (I used Arrabiata)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz. (1 cup) mozzarella cheese
- Add olive oil to a dutch oven or pan over medium heat. Add yellow onion and garlic and cook for five minutes when it’s starting to get translucent and the garlic is fragrant. Add in bell pepper and carrot, cook for three minutes.
- Then add in broccoli, mushrooms and kale. Cook another five minutes, until kale has wilted.
- Remove casings from Italian sausage and add to pan, breaking into pieces. Add in ground turkey. Cook until Italian Sausage is no longer red and ground turkey is cooked through, no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Add in tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Using a Mandolin, thinly slice Zucchini into long noodle shapes.
- In a 9×9 pan, layer some sauce on bottom of pan, just enough to lightly coat. Layer on Zucchini Noodles, then top with more sauce. Continue layering noodles and sauce until you reach the top of the pan. Top with Mozzarella Cheese and fresh Basil.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Once cooked, allow to sit and rest for about 10 minutes so that the lasagna will stay together when cutting and serving.
- This Lasagna can be a little more watery than usual because of the Zucchini so it’s important to allow it to sit so that it’s not a totally watery mess when you cut into it.
- This keeps really well in the fridge and will become even more structured once it’s sat in the fridge.