Happpyyyyyy Wednesday. I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait until Friday. It’s probably my favorite day of the week after Saturday. Ah, Saturday. Anyway.
If you recall, the other day I talked about how to make the most delicious sauce in the world. Life changing Avocado Sauce. Delicious, decadent and deserving of many recipes that use it as a star ingredient, just like this one.
A while ago, I discovered zucchini noodles. I love pasta as much as the next gal, but I do try to limit my starch intake a bit and major up my vegetable intake, so zucchini noodles seemed like a great way to eat delicious bowls of saucy goodness whilst still gettin’ my greens in.
The first time I made this dish, I took one bite and fell in love. It tastes creamy and rich enough to feel like you’re indulging, but you can feel good because you’re getting a lot of vegetables with the zucchini and tomatoes, plus healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil. Another added benefit is the sweetness of the tomato after it’s roasted, which adds the perfect balance of flavor to the bowl.
It’s also a cinch to make. The most labor intensive process is to make the
noodles, but it’s a cinch with this spiral vegetable slicer. You just stick the zucchini on, twist and there you have it, beautiful noodles. (It makes other shapes too, hello sweet potato curly fries!) But even if you don’t have a fancy schmancy gadget for your noodle makin’, cutting will work just as well.
One major thing to keep in mind when making this dish is to not overcook the zucchini. It holds up much better to the sauce when there is still a little bite left, so be mindful to watch that you don’t overcook it. Other then that, sit back, relax and enjoy. It goes well as a side dish or would make a lovely main course with some added protein of your choosing.Print
Zucchini Noodles with Avocado Sauce and Roasted Tomatoes
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- 3 zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup avocado sauce (see recipe below)
- basil, red pepper flakes, parmesan for topping
- Make Avocado Sauce
- Make zucchini noodles, either by using a vegetable slicer or cutting by hand (just cut into thin noodle like strips). Put in a colander, top with salt and allow some of the liquid to drain.
- Heat skillet to medium-high, add olive oil, then add zucchini noodles. Cook for about 2-4 minutes depending on al dente you like it. Be careful not to overcook.
- Once cooked, drain excess liquid, then add noodles back to pan.
- Add avocado sauce to zucchini noodles, combining and cook just long enough to heat through.
- Top with basil, parmesan and red pepper flakes.
You can add more avocado sauce if you like, depending on your sauce to noodle ratio preference.
The avocado sauce will start off as thick, but when added to the pan with the zucchini, it will thin out a bit. If you want it thinner, add a little water or chicken broth.
- Category: Pasta
Leave a Reply