It’s no secret that Avocado is one of my favorite foods in the whole wide world. In my life, it’s practically it’s own food group. Which means that I’ve also been crying and so sad at the skyrocketing prices for Avocados. Right now, they’re like $2 a piece for a little guy. I can’t imagine what the prices are in other parts of the country that aren’t California. It makes me so sad. All those Avocado toasts have really put a dent in the worlds supply of ‘cados.
In any case, when I can manage to fork over $2 for an Avo, I try to use them in all types of different ways, applications and with most meals in my day (which is probably also contributing to the shortage of Avo’s, sorry).
One of the new ways I’ve been making Avocado is in fry form because 1) the first time I tried these I was like what these are gr8 2) who doesn’t like fries 3) who doesn’t like handheld items begging to be dipped 4) who doesn’t think avocado fries with Sriracha dipping sauce would be an explosion in your mouth?
Trust me, they are. Especially with this dipping sauce. I’m all about sauces, in case you haven’t yet noticed (if you stick around a while, you definitely will). If I have fries, I need ranch. Chips? How about salsa or guacamole. Carrot sticks? Lemme at that hummus buddy.
So for the avocado fries, I made a greek yogurt sauce which is the perfect compliment.
These make a great appetizer, side dish, sometimes I’ll even make these and put them in tacos. Any way you slice it, these are delicious and I can’t wait for you to try!
- 2 avocados
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 full egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 - 1½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tablespoon chopped cilantro
- optional: 2 tablespoons flour
- avocado or olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut Avocado in half. Peel off skin. Cut thick Avocado slices.
- To prepare dipping station, lightly beat egg in a bowl. Put panko breadcrumbs (and flour if using), lemon zest, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder on a plate, make sure to mix until well combined.
- Take Avocado slices, dip into egg, letting excess drip off, then roll in breadcrumbs, again letting excess fall off. Continue doing with all slices.
- Place on oiled baking sheet or oiled wire rack on top of a baking sheet. (Either will work, if you use the wire rack you don't need to flip the fries). Once all assembled, spray with cooking spray. This helps get them nice and crisp.
- Cook at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, until desired crispiness. If they're on a baking sheet with no wire rack, you can flip at about the half way mark to ensure ultimate crispiness on both sides.
- For dipping: Put egg in bowl and whisk until creamy, then add greek yogurt and mix together thoroughly. Add juice of 1 lemon, and stir in olive oil very slowly. Add fresh cracked black pepper and finely chopped cilantro.