This easy and healthy vegetarian recipe for dinner is filled with baked panko crusted Avocado slices, with a creamy taco sauce on tortillas. Easy and healthy dinner.
A couple years ago, I went to a food truck festival with some friends where we talked around and tried all sorts of things from different places. Yes, it was magical and yes it’s similar to what I imagine heaven will be like. We tried a lot of different food, a lot of good food, but one thing really stood out to me.
I don’t usually order vegetarian food but immediately, I saw that one of the food trucks had an Avocado taco. Of course I was instantly intrigued and knew I had to try it. No shockers that my favorite thing we ate all day starred Avocado. I’ve had fried Avocado at the fair before which unfortunately is just a big clumpy mess (I don’t know what I was expecting) but this Avocado was beer battered and came out light and crispy with great texture. There was a good sauce and toppings and I just remembered thinking how it didn’t even matter that there wasn’t meat because it was so flavorful–a mix of textures and flavor notes, just as a taco should be.
So when I had some leftover Avocado fries the other day, I remembered that taco and decided I would use those to make my own version of that Avocado taco from years ago. In my Avocado fries recipe, I use lemon zest in the breadcrumbs which helps add a brightness that really lends itself to the taco. Top it off with some of your favorite taco toppings and you’re in business! The perfect quick and easy vegetarian friendly taco: Baked Panko Avocado Tacos.
This is a great way to stay vegetarian or vegan (omit cheese, greek yogurt and use vegan friendly substitute) and still get your taco for Taco Tuesday or for Cinco de Mayo on Friday!
- 1 batch Avocado fries
- 6-8 Corn tortillas
- ½ cup thinly sliced red and green cabbage
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tbsp green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cotija cheese (as much as desired)
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 1 lime juice and zest
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- other topping ideas: hot sauce, pickled red onions, cheese, pickled radishes, etc.
- In a bowl, mix together bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, green onions, chopped cilantro, olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Char tortillas over open stove flame or in a pan.
- In another bowl, mix together greek yogurt, lime juice and zest, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- To assemble tacos: spread greek yogurt sauce on tortilla, add a few Avocado fries and top with bell pepper and tomato mixture and cabbage. Add more sauce if desired. Sprinkle with Cotija cheese.