These Buffalo Chicken Empanadas are a ketogenic friendly twist on a classic empanada. Filled with flavorful shredded chicken and buffalo sauce as hot or mild as you like it, these are perfect for game day or a snack.
I’ve been on a huge buffalo chicken kick for months now.
See evidence here:
Sorry, not sorry.
Buffalo chicken is super easy to make, really flavorful and can be adapted in many ways. Plus, I often find that chicken is dry and boring but with buffalo chicken, I never feel that way. The sauce helps keep it moist and juicy.
So when I came up with an empanada recipe, I knew I had to make a variation with buffalo chicken too. It lends itself very well to an empanada! Soft dough full of buffalo chicken bursting with flavor dipped in your favorite sauce, blue cheese for some, definitely a ranch or sour cream for me. Top with some green onions for a little something extra.
These empanadas would be a great addition to your game day spread, they’re easy handheld food, plus wasn’t buffalo chicken invented for game day?
Get after it!
Make sure you add enough buffalo sauce to the chicken or these will come out dry. Adding cream cheese helps keep the interior moist and creamy.
Make sure you close the empanadas well or liquid will run out and it can make them a little bit dry.
The empanada dough can be a little wet so if it’s sticking to your fingers a lot, add more almond flour. If it sticks too much, you won’t be able to form it into shapes or cut it so make sure it’s not overly sticky.Print
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup hot sauce
- green onions, pico de gallo, extra hot sauce, ranch, blue cheese or sour cream for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a bowl. Put in the microwave for one minute, take out and stir. Put in the microwave for another minute, stir well. Add in almond flour and egg. Mix to combine well.
- The dough will be a little wet but if it is too wet that you can’t get it to stop sticking to your fingers, then add a little more almond flour.
- Roll the dough flat with a rolling pin or with a piece of plastic wrap on top and use a wine bottle.
- Once you’ve rolled it flat, about 1/4″ thick, use a bowl to cut circle shapes.
- For excess dough, form into a ball then roll out again and repeat the process until all the dough has been used.
- Lay on a lightly greased cooking sheet or use a silicone baking mat.
- For chicken, mix shredded chicken with buffalo sauce. Place a spoonful into each circle on one half and then fold the other half over. Make sure to press down firmly on the edges. You can also slightly roll the edges to make sure they’re combined well.
- Once you’ve made all the empanadas, cook at 425 degrees for 12 minutes until starting to turn golden brown.
Inspired by Keto Fat Head Dough