A healthier version of Tater Tots, these Cauliflower Tots or Fauxtato Tots are made with Cauliflower instead of Potato. A classic favorite with a healthy twist.
It’s a dreary day today. California seems kinda confused, it goes from 90 degrees one day to 60 the next with rain. We haven’t had this much rain in years, as you may have heard, since it’s gotten us out of the drought.
But on dreary days, it’s time for soul warming food, food that tastes good but also makes you feel good for eating it. This is kinda like that. Tater tots are obvi one of life’s greatest inventions, they’re crispy, soft, and inherently made for dipping. But sometimes it’s also important to eat vegetables. So instead of potatoes we’re using Cauliflower. Don’t be mad at me.
I think Cauliflower is super useful, it allows you to get your extra veg in and it makes it easy to make healthier versions of classic favorites. Is it bread? No. Are these real tater tots? No.
But are they a fun handheld food that resembles a Tater Tot that you can indulge in more frequently and still dip into whatever sauce suits your fancy? Yep, absolutely.
So are these a perfect side dish to make? You betcha.
I made these the other day as a side for my No Bun Hamburgers and they were perfect. Definitely adding these to the rotation!
- 1.5 cups riced cauliflower
- 1 egg, whisked
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add riced cauliflower to a bowl and put in microwave for 5 minutes to dry out.
- Add egg and mix well, then add in shredded cheese and onion powder, garlic powder and smoked paprika.
- Form into tots and put on greased baking sheet, silicone baking mat or lightly greased parchment paper.
- Cook in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes, then flip and cook another 15-20 minutes until tots are golden brown.
- Garnish with Parsley. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.