This low carb, ketogenic friendly Taco Salad recipe features seasoned ground beef over a bed of mixed greens in a low carb baked taco shell with your favorite toppings!
If you haven’t noticed yet, I love tacos. And I don’t discriminate, I love all kinds of tacos. I like tacos in cauliflower tortillas, wrapped in lettuce, made with cheese shells and even made as a salad.
That’s why we’re here today folks. Taco salad.
So this post will be short and sweet so that you can get right on to eating and living your best taco salad loving dreams.
This recipe is really flexible and you can make it a bunch of different ways. Try getting creative. Change up the protein. Use ground turkey, chicken or pork. Use shredded beef or carnitas. Use Brussels Sprouts or cauliflower rice instead of mixed greens.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cups veggie mix ins (I like to use carrots, bell peppers, cauliflower, spinach, kale, etc.)
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup salsa
- 2-4 cups mixed greens
- 2-4 low carb tortillas (however many salads you're making)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- cooking spray or more olive oil
- for topping: avocado, green onions, sour cream, cheese, pickled red onions, hot sauce
- optional: dressing of choice (I like avocado ranch, if using)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Add in chopped yellow onion, stir. Allow onion to cook until starting to get translucent. Then add in your other veggies. I will do things like bell peppers and cauliflower first, as they take longer and ending with spinach since it doesn't take much time to cook.
- Add in ground beef and break up with a spatula. Mix everything together well. Add in paprika, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Add in salsa, mix together. Lower heat to medium low and let simmer.
- Put tortillas in the microwave for 15 seconds until soft and flexible.
- On a baking sheet, roll up pieces of foil into balls. Drape tortillas over the foil, forming the taco shell. Spray with cooking spray or rub olive oil on. Cook for 8-10 minutes in the oven or until it's as crispy as you like it.
- To serve: Take out your shell, put in mixed greens and then warm ground beef over the top. Top with your favorite taco toppings. I used cheese, sour cream, pickled red onions, cubed avocado and green onions.